Sunday, July 30, 2006

Big Meadows to Echo Lakes

this weekend I went backpacking at lake tahoe. I went on a section of the tahoe rim trail from big meadow to echo lakes, and then part of an old pony express trail back to the trailhead making it about a 25mile loop. the weather was gorgeous and the scenery awesome.

the hike starts off as an easy stroll through the same meadow from last weekend, but splits off a mile into it.





one of several alpine lakes, round lake, on the trail.






this scene made me hear "heidi, heidi" in my head for the next few miles.... as I trudge through the south truckee river valley.






another alpine lake. I camped at this lake, showers lake, at about 8300ft. this is the view from where I woke up.






icefields in july ? yes, at about 9000ft elevation. there were several icefields some of which were still across the trail. thsi section of the trail pretty much just opened up the last week or so.





random scenic view as I was coming down from the ridge/mountain on my way to echo summit.






a much apreciated refreshing water fall/stream toward the end of the hike on part of the poney express trail.





over all it was a really nice trip, but by the end my legs turned to butter from all of the elevation changes with the backpack (7300 -> 8300 -> 9000 -> 7300 -> 8000 > 7500 -> 8000 -> 7500 -> 6000 -> 7300 ft) most of it in one day.

1 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

wish i could have been there too, hiking buddy...

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home